Real Moms Teach

by Leslie

My blogging friend Amanda at The Mom Blog (who I am forever wishing leaved nearby) tagged me for Kristin‘s meme about Real Moms. Here is my contribution.

From the moment I became a parent I heard it from various sources: You are your child’s first teacher. Still, I didn’t truly know it until the first time I heard Julia shout “Dammit!” with the same tone and inflection I use when I say that word. I taught her that. She learned that “Dammit” is what you say when you’re frustrated from me. Luckily, that’s not all I’ve taught her. I’ve also taught her to say “please,” “thank you” and “excuse me.” So she also knows to say, “Oh, excuse me for saying dammit,” when she offends her grandmother.

Mommy and Julia

My daughter has learned a lot from me; I see the product of my lessons everyday. I see it when she identifies all the letters in the headline of the newspaper or counts the stairs as she stomps down them in the morning. I see it when she puts a hand on her hip, wags her finger and makes a demand. I see it when she encourages her friends. It’s there when she offers to share the last bite. It’s there when she spells her name or replies to the question, “Guess what?” with “Chicken Butt.” It’s there when she points out each state on the U.S. map and when she points out that the kid in line behind us just picked his nose and ate the booger.

If there is anything real moms are doing, it is teaching our children. We will never have anyone pay as much attention to what we do and say as our children do. Real moms know this and we try our best to make it count.

Now it’s your turn! I’m tagging Toni, Jennifer, Ruth, Karly and Mommy The Maid.

Comments

1. Faith on April 4, 2007 7:49 pm

I liked your answer to the meme. Julia is such an intelligent and very cute little girl, your pride in her pours out of your words whenever you write about her. And I can see why you’re so proud! You and Dave have done a magnificent job with her. :)

2. Karly on April 4, 2007 9:29 pm

Um, I’m a little jealous of Julia’s abilities. Pointing out states on a map? Holy crap. I couldn’t do that if the name of the state wasn’t clearly printed on the map. Good Lord. Smart kid. (Or dumb woman…but I’m going with smart kid.)

Thanks for the tag…my very first!

3. Ruth on April 5, 2007 1:46 pm

That was a great post. Julia really is a smart girl!! I will have to work on my post and get it posted soon.

4. Daddy Forever on April 5, 2007 11:02 pm

I have to be careful what I say around my son too. But now he’s at the stage where he make up his own stuff. Lately, he has been saying, “I’m going to sit on your head and poop on you!” I have no idea where he gets that from. I don’t say stuff like that and I don’t hear anything like that in our movie collection.

5. Mommy the Maid on April 9, 2007 3:02 pm

What a great meme!! I will have to put some thought on this one and get it going :D Thanks for the tag!

6. Mommy the Maid on April 10, 2007 1:07 pm
  7. Jennifer on April 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks so much for the tag, and for letting me know about it. I’m so behind in keeping up with everyone lately!!

8. Parenting Toddlers » Blog Archive » Real Moms on April 13, 2007 9:29 am

[...] 2007 by Jennifer My friend Leslie over at My Mommy’s Place tagged me for this neat meme about Real Moms. So here are my thoughts on thesubject: [...]

9. Twisted Cinderella on April 15, 2007 10:34 am

I love your response to this meme. From the time I was pg I asked Prince Charming to curb his swearing espcially around Little Princess. It seems to have worked well as she doesn’t yet curse. It really is important to remember we are our children’s teachers.