Items Needed: A tire. A strong rope. A tree.

Step 1: Drill holes in the bottom of your tire to prevent water from gathering and making it all gross when it rains.

Drilling Holes Drilled Holes

Step 2: Take the tire to the car wash to clean it with a high pressure hose. Also to justify the trip to the ice cream parlor next door.

Julia washes the tire

Step 3: Use a ladder to reach a sturdy tree branch and tie the rope to the branch.

Tall Ladder

Step 4: Realize that your ladder is a lot taller than it looks when you actually climb up it and that the branch is really high.

Step 5: Put the ladder away.

Step 6: Concoct a brilliant plan in which you place a softball in a sock, tie it to the end of the rope and toss it over the branch.

Softball Sock Throwy Idea

Step 7: Enlist help from someone that can actually throw.

Step 8: Tie a slip knot and pull it until it reaches the branch. You will have a double rope of unequal size.

Slip knot

Step 9: Tie the rope around the tire using a square knot.

Step 10: Discover that knots are really hard to tie.

Step 11: Go inside and Google How To Tie A Square Knot.

Step 12: Attach the tire using the rope with a whole bunch of the knots you know how to make.

Knotty!

Step 13: Have the heaviest member of your family test the swing to insure its strength. You may not want to tell them that their weight is the reason they were chosen.

Step 14: Untie all those knots and hike the tire a little higher up that rope. Make sure your drill holes are at the bottom. Repeat steps 9 through 13.

Step 15: Let your impatient kid swing, already. You can cut off the excess rope later when her leg gets tangled in it and she falls and gets hurt.

Julia's first swing on the tire

Daddy pushes, Julia swings

Swingaroo

Step 16: Pat yourself on the back and admire your handiwork from the street, just like the neighbors will.

Tire Swing

Comments

1. much more than a mom on June 14, 2009 7:41 am

That is freaking AWESOME! I love that tree, I love that swing, and I love your house!

2. Maggie's Mind on June 14, 2009 10:17 am

That is just so cool! What a fun post and clever, too. Love, love, love this.

3. German Girl on June 14, 2009 10:47 am

Aren’t you the coolest family in the whole world!?

4. Jen in MI on June 14, 2009 2:34 pm

I’m not sure there’s anything better than a tire swing. Seriously.

5. Chris H on June 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Lovely! YOu have the most gorgeous home and yard!!!

6. Laurie on June 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Yayyyyyyyy!!! Plus, look at Dave and your mom so happy!!

7. Mrs. Schmitty on June 14, 2009 9:38 pm

I love those pictures! Your house looks so warm and comforting!!

8. Chris H on June 15, 2009 4:29 am

I am giving you an Award. It will be on my post tomorrow (that’s tuesday here)

9. Nicole on June 15, 2009 10:51 am

Great job! This project was amazing – and look at the smile on her face!!! Priceless :)

10. Addison on June 15, 2009 4:28 pm

That last picture looks like a scene from a movie! Great job! Also, I’m pretty sure you’re the coolest mom ever. I know I begged for a tire swing for years and never received one. (sigh)

11. Res on June 15, 2009 8:34 pm

So i realized that I have no idea where you live – but if i can have a porch like that, green trees and green grass, and a tire swing – I am sold!!!!! Abslutely perfect summer day I think!

12. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you. I think the swing fits perfectly!

13. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:24 am

We really had a good time making that swing, and Julia just can’t get enough of it!

14. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:25 am

I like to think so. Except that we’re the kind of cool that comes from being so lame, we circle back to cool again.

15. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:26 am

Julia would agree with you completely. She’s all about that swing.

16. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:28 am

Thank you! I love our house. I hope we stay there forever.

17. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:29 am

That swing really is a lot of fun. And it’s hard not to smile when Julia’s smiling. Her smiles are contagious.

18. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks. I thought the same thing the first time I saw our house. It fits our family perfectly.

19. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:35 am

I love that smile! I would say it made all the hard work worth it, but it was really a simple project.

20. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:37 am

Tire swings are the best.

You’re not alone. Dave never had a tire swing, either.

21. Leslie on June 16, 2009 1:38 am

We live among the corn and cows in Ohio. It’s truly a lovely place to live.

22. Heather @ Romper Room Gone Wild on June 16, 2009 9:32 pm

that is too funny. but tire swings are awesome. lol

23. Jacquie on June 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Oh your house looks so pretty! The swing’s pretty cool too :)

24. How To Make A Tire Swing: DIY Project : TipNut.com on June 17, 2009 2:03 pm

[...] DIY Tire Swing Tutorial Provided By mymommysplace.comToday’s feature is from My Mommy’s Place with this DIY tutorial How To Make A Tire Swing: Items Needed: A tire. A strong rope. A tree. [...]

25. Leslie on June 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Yes, they’re lots of fun.

26. Leslie on June 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks!

27. onthecurb on June 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I loved tire swings as a kid. Doubt my chunky thighs would enjoy them so much these days. But, your gal seems to be having a blast.

I found you by way of one of your comments on Fluid Pudding…you refer to your husband as half-robot who still mustered up some emotion over “Up.” :-) Hilarious.

Love your yard and house, btw. Makes me want to sit on the porch and have a lemonade.

28. Catherine on June 17, 2009 11:05 pm

If I hadn’t seen your kid on the swing I would have thought you lifted a picture from a Norman Rockwell book. Does it more idyllic than that? No!

At my in-laws there is a rope swing that we all love to play on, even the adults.

29. Leslie on June 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by! Yay! I think you just made my day.

30. Leslie on June 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Swings are the best. I hope that these are the kind of images that come to my kid’s minds when they remember their childhoods one day.

31. Karly on June 22, 2009 8:32 am

That is so cool! I love tire swings and yours looks perfect sitting in front of your big house! It looks like a picture out of a movie! Bet the girls are having a blast with that!

32. Suzanne on June 23, 2009 2:57 pm

I covet your yard. Is that terrible?

Sweet swing! I never would have come up with the drilling the holes part or the ball-in-sock thing. You are very smart. I do, however, know how to tie a square knot without the help of Google… it’s called working with Cub Scouts.

33. Meera on July 28, 2009 12:58 am

I googled & visited several sites on makinging a tire / rope swing. Gave up on the info I saw …. and just before closing the search page saw this site at the BOTTOM (!) of the page. No other site came close to this in terms of explanation, breaking it down, photos – the works. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    I’ll tell you how it goes after I try doing mine over the next week. What great ideas – the sock and tennis ball (the other site said use a rock & don’t let it hit you – thanks!) All the little tips are great. I’ll stop befoer I sound like a certified babbling fool :-)

34. Leslie on July 30, 2009 1:09 pm

I’m so glad you found me and that this was helpful! We had so much fun doing it. It’s been one of our favorite things to do this summer. Let me know how yours turned out!

35. spartak keburia on September 11, 2009 12:22 pm

thank you so much! nice photos too! wish you all the best!

36. Jeanne on May 28, 2010 9:48 am

OK…you just saved my day…I have been collecting the stuff for a tire swing all week and my husband proceeded to tell me he didn’t want it up b/c all the water that sits in the bottom where mosquitos multiply…drilling holes in the bottom is genius!!

I can’t wait to email him right now!! :) One family battle solved!! Thanks Thanks Thanks and my kids will be swinging by tomorrow!!

37. Leslie on May 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you stopped by! We put our swing up about a year ago and we still use it. The kids love it! I hope you’ll enjoy yours as much as we’ve enjoyed ours!

38. Mark on June 25, 2010 1:50 pm

What a beautiful place!

39. 125 Summertime Boredom Busters | Proverbs 22:6 Academy on June 7, 2012 7:42 pm

[...] swing from a rope or tire swing [...]

40. Andrea on June 14, 2012 7:11 pm

U R Funny! (1st timer)

41. Sophie on July 7, 2012 10:59 am

We just changed the tires on our car, and I was looking for fun things to do with the old tires. Thanks for the awesome ideas and the morning laughs. :)

42. Rocco Mroz on September 3, 2012 11:37 am

Admiring the time and energy you put into your site and detailed information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material. Fantastic read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

43. Amy on September 10, 2012 10:21 am

Ecxellent tutorial! Never would have thought to drill a hole to let the water out. Very smart!

44. sheken on March 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Whoever created this post, absolutely love it! I was to tickled and now because of your easy to understand instructions, my kids have their very 1st tire swing :)

45. - Bob's Blogs on June 13, 2013 12:16 pm

[...] time pleasures. That’s what we felt when we discovered this delightful tire swing tutorial on MyMommysPlace. [...]

46. Tire Swings - Bob Vila on July 5, 2013 11:36 am

47. How to Make a Tire Swing - Bob Vila on August 12, 2013 6:01 pm

48. Money Saving Sensory Solutions - The Chaos and the Clutter on April 16, 2014 11:45 pm

[...] stores and Dollar stores. Examples include such things as making your own hammock, platform swing, tire swing, rock climbing wall, ball pit (you can also make a simpler one using a blow up pool or playpen and [...]

49. 7 Activities to Get You & Your Family Outside! on April 21, 2014 3:20 pm

[...] sturdy branch, an old tire, and a length of chain or thick rope. Find step-by-step DIY instructions here. Your swing will last forever and will be a new neighborhood attraction for the kids (and perhaps [...]

50. Kathy Cooke on July 16, 2014 11:35 am

I have been promising my 6 year old grandson a tire swing since his birthday on June 19th. Cannot locate a tire. Some say NOT to use steel belted tires. Suggestions for finding a tire and what size?