“I spy with my little eye…”
Those words have been uttered countless times on road trips and in waiting rooms all over this land. Here’s a fun twist to that favorite boredom busting game your family may enjoy – an I Spy bottle! This is what you’ll need to get started.
- Empty plastic bottle, cleaned and dried
- Rice (You could also use salt or sand.)
- Glue (I recommend a glue gun.)
- 8-12 assorted small items (Our items included a marble, paper clip, safety pin, Barbie shoe, a broken green crayon, a bead, a jack, a ring, a rubber band, a sea shell, a penny and a button.)
- Use the funnel to fill the bottle 3/4 of the way full with rice.
- (Optional) Make a list of the items you’ve collected to add to the bottle. You can even photograph them! If you really want to get creative, come up with a rhyme. For example, “There’s a button, a bow and a penny, too. Can you name the item colored blue?”
- Add the small items you collected to the bottle.
- Glue the lid on. Since the bottle is filled with small items that could pose a choking hazard for young children, please do not skip this step. I recommend bringing out the big guns (i.e. a glue gun).
- Shake the bottle to hide the items.
- Start hunting!
Originally written for and posted on the now-defunct My OH! Momma website.