Here’s a cool experiment you can do with your kids to demonstrate cause and effect or an acid-base reaction or just to have fun. This is what you’ll need.
- A tray with a lip
- An empty baby food jar (or container of similar size)
- Baking soda
- Play dough (store-bought or make your own)
- Food coloring
- Roll out some play dough and mold it around the jar to create a volcano in the center of your tray.
- Add vinegar – enough to fill the jar half full.
- Add a few drops of food coloring.
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Watch it erupt!
Originally written for and posted on the now-defunct My OH! Momma website.