If you’re looking for a fun read you can devour like a bag of M&M’s, I think you’ll like the BlogHer Book Club’s latest pick: Here I Go Again: A Novel by Jen Lancaster. And if you were coming of age when Nirvana exploded onto the music scene (and that meant something to you)? You’re going to absolutely love it.

Lissy Ryder, the quintessential “mean girl” of the Class of ’92, is now 37 and fabulous. Or so she thought. Twenty four hours after we meet her, she’s sleeping under her David Coverdale poster in her old room in her parents’ house having been fired from her job, kicked out of her condo, dumped by her husband and invited to her twenty year high school reunion – all tragic stuff, right? In an effort to reclaim her old glory and pull her life back together, she goes to the reunion and discovers just how hated she really was – oh, and an opportunity to go back in time and tame that bitch called karma.

It’s Peggy Sue Got Married, if Peggy Sue were Regina George, in book form. So, it’s the kind of story we’ve heard before. But there’s a reason good stories can be revised and retold. We love them. And I loved this one.

If you’ve read Jen’s blog or any of her other books, you know the the kind of snark and quick wit she could bring to the “mean girl” character. She’s written Lissy as so cleverly mean, you’re equally awed and afraid of her ability to insult. I didn’t really like Lissy – not even at the end, once she’d learned her lesson – but I loved disliking her. I enjoyed her journey, particularly the trip back to the 90s landscape that was my high school experience, too. I loved the pop culture references, especially the music. It was all so familiar and fun – a great escape from today.

Really, you should read this book. You’ll like it. But do it quick, before making fun of Justin Bieber gets old.

Want to hear more? Travel back in time and over to Here I Go Again’s BlogHer Book Club page and join the conversation.

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

That’s what they said at my specialist appointment yesterday. Taking care of me means I’m taking care of Jackson and that needs to be my top priority, because he needs it. But not because he isn’t healthy!

Jackson 3D profile

Look at that beautiful boy!

We had our SUPER-DUPER-EXTRA-HIGH-QUALITY-ULTRA-AWESOME Ultrasound and the verdict is: he’s perfect! There was no evidence of any problems with Jackson. He has all the right parts and they’re doing exactly what they’re supposed to do.

Me? I’m screwing everything all up.

I’m still making too much amniotic fluid. (38 cm!) And there’s the whole gestational diabetes craziness. The good news is that my diabetes situation isn’t terrible. My blood sugar levels aren’t too bad. For this reason, the doctors don’t feel that the gestational diabetes and the polyhydramnios are related. But both conditions pose a risk of stillbirth. (Stillbirth. That word is a heart-stopper, isn’t it?) The doctors (and I) want to eliminate as much risk as possible, which means every blood sugar reading needs to be in the normal range. Close isn’t good enough. (They called it diabetes boot camp. “It’s tough, but we have excellent success rates.” And since by “success” they mean “a living, healthy baby,” I’m on board with diabetes boot camp!) My post-meal blood sugar is usually right where it needs to be, but my fasting blood sugar is consistently high, though only by a few digits. And so, today I’ll start taking some medication to help remedy that.

Meanwhile, I’m having regular, and surprisingly strong, contractions. I have been for a few weeks, but we saw the evidence of it during our non-stress test.

“You have to be feeling that,” the nurse said showing me the spikes on the readout from the fetal monitor.

“Oh, YES.”

You really don’t need a monitor to know when I’m contracting. Just put your hands on my belly!

(We also discovered that Jackson responds every time I laugh. Dave asked if they could write a prescription for me to do that more.)

The contractions are how my uterus is reacting to the extra amniotic fluid. My cervix is closed, though, so all is well. I’ll have weekly ultrasounds, bi-weekly non-stress tests, and daily kick counting to keep me busy, but the next seven weeks may be long, my friends.

Jackson 3D

I just want so badly to hold that boy in my arms and see him face to face. I wish it didn’t feel so far away.

Oh, thank goodness for
a well-timed day off from school.
Weather, I love you!

1. If it is cold enough for the National Weather Service to issue a Wind Chill Advisory and school to be delayed for two hours, it is also cold enough to freeze the hot water pipes going to the second floor of my house.

2. If the hot water pipes going to the second floor of my house are frozen and I want to bathe, I will do it in our downstairs bathroom.

Our downstairs bath tub

3. If I take a bath in the tub in our downstairs bathroom and I am mucho grande pregnant, I will get stuck in it.

4. Thank goodness Julia had that two hour delay and was there to help get me out of there.

5. Julia has declared, officially, that she never wants to be pregnant. EVER.

6. I spent about 5 hours at the hospital yesterday during which time I saw Jackson touch his nose, stretch and arch his back, flip over and kick! kick! kick!

Baby boy 28 weeks, 6 days

7. The specialist said there is a 10% chance that Jackson has a fetal defect. That means there’s a 90% chance that he’s perfectly fine! And though I was reminded how serious the condition is with my uterus and the fluid and all that, something about getting those numbers gave me incredible relief.

8. Since I saw the specialist from Akron Children’s Hospital at their office at my normal hospital yesterday and the SUPER-DUPER-EXTRA-HIGH-QUALITY-ULTRA-AWESOME Ultrasound Machine is located in Akron, I will be going there on Tuesday for another ultrasound and some more tests.

9. I have surmised that after that ultrasound, my next appointment will be in a vault at a secret location where Dave and the medical team will be placed in a submersible pod, shrunk down, and injected into me so they can look at Jackson from inside. I think that’s the next level.

10. The glucometer is my new best friend. I will feed it my blood 4-6 times a day.

My new best friend

11. 98 was my fasting blood sugar level this morning. It’s supposed to be 95 or less. (So close!)

12. Later today, I will meet with a dietician. She will tell me what to eat and when. I will call her every couple of days to confirm that I actually did it and share my blood sugar numbers. Then she will tell me if I need to make any changes to what and when I’m eating. Now if I could just get them to add in a personal chef…

13. If two little girls decide to play Hair Salon and get a hold of the Suave Professionals Sleek Anti-Frizz Cream…

Suave Professionals Sleek Anti-Frizz Cream

…their hair will look something like this:

Phoebe, the greaser

Even after it’s been washed numerous times. And blow dried. (That’s dry hair in that picture up there. That’s how serious that shit is.)

14. I’ve got Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup (minus the mushrooms) in the crock pot for dinner.

15. I’m feeling pretty damn grateful for my doctors and the medical care Jackson and I are getting and for my parents for taking such great care of my girls while I get it.

Feel like oversharing? Leave me a comment. (Really. I like them.)

it’s hard to feel tense
around a napping kitty
(unless you hate cats)

Snoozing kitty on a puzzle

most human beings
require medication
to be so mellow

Napping kitty on a bench

***

Picasso

And then Picasso was like, “Oh, are you photographing me? Allow me to pose.”

Posing Picasso

“Here’s my best side. Oh, the tail. Are you getting the tail? Like, the whole tail? I cleaned it for about fifteen minutes before I fell asleep.”

And then Holy Guacamole! was like, “Um, don’t forget about me over here! Hey! Hey look!”

Holy Guacamole

“Cute Show starting in 3…2…1…”

Holy Guacamole being cute

“BAM!”

Holy Guacamole says, "You know you wanna pet this."

“Okay, you realize now is when you’re supposed to pet me.”

And I did.


Comments