Improvising

by Leslie

Lucy turned 5 yesterday.

Lucy is 5

(I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about that. And LOTS OF THINGS. Heh, I gave birth less than a month ago – I’m pretty much a weeping sack of feelings! I’ll likely share some of them when I’m not so busy having NICU-flashback panic attacks and obsessively weighing my baby.)

To celebrate Lucy’s big day, I made ice cream cone cupcakes for her preschool class and t-ball team because A) ice cream cone cupcakes are awesome and B) you don’t see them all that often – not because they’re this novel idea, but because no one knows how to transport them. (Remember last time I made them?)

Ice cream cone cupcake

And so I started thinking. Soon, an everyday egg carton…

Clever me!

…became ice cream cone cupcake transport!

Ice cream cone cupcake transport!

It wasn’t an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless. I still spent several moments delighting in my own brilliance.

Before long, once again, my ingenuity was called upon.

Earlier in the day, I had asked Dave to pick up the gift wrap for Lucy’s presents. He brought home a roll of cellophane. This would not do, obviously, as cellophane is transparent, Dave! Since there was no time to run to the store for gift wrap and I was still high on my success with the ice cream cone cupcake-egg carton transport system I created, with crayons, paper and Julia’s help, I made my own gift wrap in about five minutes.

Improvised gift wrap

I didn’t even get twitchy over the fact that the gift wrap didn’t match the card or the bow or the cake. (The truth is, I forgot the card. And I left the bow off, because, well, it didn’t match.)

You guys, I’m starting to think my perfectionism is waning.

Comments

1. Veronica on April 17, 2013 5:23 am

Happy Birthday Lucy!

2. Amy on April 17, 2013 6:46 am

Happy Birthday Lucy!!! Holy cow, five years. Has it really been that long? Your egg carton travel system was GENIUS by the way : )

3. April on April 17, 2013 3:28 pm

I was so impressed with the ice cream cone cupcakes! You are amazing! How did you have time to do them? And the egg cartons…GENIOUS! In related news…I was mistaken for you yesterday. I had to quickly correct the lady because, even on my best days, I am NOT the spectacular, superhero, mom that you are. Lucy told me she was hoping for a “real” cake for her bday dinner. I bet she loved it!

4. Sarah on April 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Happy birthday Lucy!

Loving the egg carton idea, my little miss is five next month so I might just have to steal your idea :)

Hope everything is going well with the little guy.

5. German Girl on April 18, 2013 6:55 am

You’re brilliant!!
    and HAPPY BIRTHDAY,LUCY (a little belated)

6. Toni on April 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Hooray for waning perfectionism! I really think it’s number four that puts it over the top and you know what? Life is ever so much more of an adventure without it. :-)

Happy Birthday, Lucy!